Wednesday, January 17, 2018
Conference Session Highlights: Proposition #4 Teacher Reflection
Proposition #4: Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience. Most educators who take on the process to become an NBCT often state that one of the side effects of this process is becoming a more reflective practitioner. Here are a few concurrent sessions related to this proposition at this year's conference.
1. Exploring Cross Curricular Planning: (Room 114 10:15-11:15 and 2:50-3:50) Cross-curricular units provide rewarding opportunities for student engagement because they fully understand how content areas are connected. This session will look at planning cross-curricular units and their learning benefits.
2. Separate But Equal: Teachers' Experiences with African American Males in Gender-specific Classrooms in an Urban School Setting: (Room 118 2:50-3:50) What is it like to be a teacher of African American males within a gender-specific classroom?” The purpose of this discussion to illuminate teachers‘ experiences with African American males.
These Sessions are specifically related to the NBCT process and are related to proposition #4 as well as the other propositions:
1. Surviving and Supporting Component 4: (Room 112 10-15:-11:15) Learn to navigate or support candidates through planning, organizing, and writing Component 4
2. Ready to Renew?: The Renewal Process: Room 114 11:20-12:20) Where do I begin? What is involved? How long does it take? Who can help? Answers to all of these questions and more
3. Have Questions about Board Certification?: (Room 106 1:45-2:45) This session is for those contemplating or beginning the board certification process. Are you asking, “Where do I begin? How long does it take? Where can I get help?” Get answers to all of these questions from veteran NBCTs and those who have just certified under the new process.
4. Renewal Work Session: (Room 114 1:45-2:45) In this session, candidates for renewal will begin the development of their professional growth experiences (PGE's) and begin writing component 1.
5. Ins and Outs of Component 4: (Room 118 1:45-2:45) Unpacking the newly redesigned Component 4