Monday, February 4, 2013

Greeting from Your President


Hello, my name is Pamela Harman and I am so honored to be representing the NBCT’s of Alabama. 

Background

I have always wanted to become a teacher.  Having grown up in St. Petersburg, Florida in a single-parent home in a low-income neighborhood, I was not sure how I would accomplish my dream.  Although I received a scholarship to attend a local, community college, it did not provide enough funding for me to complete my schooling.  So, in 1986 I joined the United States Marine Corps.  I spend 4+ years in the Marines and gained not only funding for college, but also greater self-confidence and the realization that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to.

I completed my BS in education at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, my MS in geoscience at Mississippi State, and am currently working on my Ed.D  in teacher leadership through Walden University. 

I have been teaching high school science for 15 years and am currently working at Spain Park High School in Hoover.  I was honored to represent Alabama as the 2008 Alabama Teacher of the Year.
Professional Practice

I am the first person in my family to attend college and I strongly believe that all students should be equipped with the skills necessary to successfully attend college, if they choose to do so.  Instilling students with critical thinking skills, opportunities to collaborate, and avenues to gain mastery of the content are major tenets of my teaching philosophy.  I also feel that students are better equipped to learn when the teacher differentiates instruction (DI).  I have lead professional development training in DI locally, statewide, and nationally. I feel so passionately about differentiated instruction that it is the focus of my doctoral studies. 

Vision for Alabama NBCT
I feel the mission of Alabama NBCT is to support all teachers in growing professionally, to provide support for future NBCT’s in improving their professional practice, and to inform school systems, the general public, and legislators of the value of having NBCT’s as teachers.   It is my hope that NBCT’s across Alabama will come along side me to make my vision a reality. 

Pamela Harman, NBCT

1 comment:

  1. Pamela,
    Congratulations and Thank you for your leadership! As both the Director of State Policy for NBPTS, and as someone with deep family ties to Alabama, I am excited to work with you to continue to improve outcomes for students and teachers in Alabama. I look forward to a conversation about the ways that i can assist you and the Alabama NBCT Network. Please feel free to contact me at any time. maccardi@nbpts.org

    ReplyDelete