Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Let's Extend Our Reach

The smell of Clorox, Lysol, squeaky, clean shoes, fresh haircuts, quiet chatter, hugs and grasps from tiny hands, and all my students have pencils!  It must be the start of a new school year.  I usually set goals for myself at the beginning of the school year.  The goals I set normally do not extend beyond my classroom.  I focus on student achievement, benchmarks, and ensuring I expose my students to all types of literature and technology.

I have a different goal I would like to achieve this year.  Our theme for the 2013 Alabama National Board Certified Teacher Conference is “Extending Our Reach."  My goal is for Alabama NBCTs to become a unified voice in our state advocating for students and teachers.  If you are like me, throughout the school year, you develop tunnel vision focusing on your students and their academic growth.  This is a phenomenal task that is priority number one, but what if you chose to extend your reach beyond your classroom.  

Join a twitter chat (see here to ger started), invite a community member to come into your classroom, partner with a class in another city, state, or country, showcase the learning that happens in your classroom at a conference, submit your action research to an educational journal, or write a letter to your state representative detailing your student’s academic growth led by you an NBCT.  

There are many exciting events happening in our classrooms daily.  We are our biggest advocates. If we don’t share how we shape student learning everyday, then who will tell our stories?  I challenge you to capture and showcase these awesome learning opportunities.  Extend Our Reach. 

Please join Alabama National Board Certified Teachers Network on Saturday, January 26, 2013.  The conference will be held at Spain Park High School located in Hoover, Alabama with registration beginning at 8:30 am.

~Akina Canty, President of Alabama NBCT Network

photo credit: a little ingenuity(: via photo pin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment